Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Winter Strays No More

Bye-bye beautiful Coco.
I see you way back there, Darling Puff.
Off they went, to my great relief and sadness. Monday night was their first night in from the cold. They will be lovingly cared for at the Niagara Feline Friends shelter, first being isolated (hopefully together) from the general population for adjustment and observation. No more 5 degree nights. No more scarcity of water or food. No more crazy cat lady showing up at the window of the clubhouse.

Before they were carted off to a warmer life, I stood next to their blanketed cages in the dark and I sang to them. One small song, over and over, to help them adjust to the presence of well-meaning humans. And now, amid the happiness of rescue, I am also sad. Because naturally, I came to love them and wished I could take them home with me. But 2 shelter cats, already in my care, is my current limit.

I re-set the 3rd trap with fresh sardines in hopes of luring Creamsicle into giving up the stray life and joining the other 2. I'll be checking twice a day, and keeping an eye out for that cross-eyed Blue. As soon as the wonderful Susan sends me some photos from the shelter, I'll be sure to let you know.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful news, Graciel! I hope they adjust quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this made me cry. That's how crazy this cat lady is. This is really a wonderful, wonderful thing, and knowing they are safe & warm & fed and will be fine makes the goodbye okay, but I can't wait to see them again.

    xoxo
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure saying goodbye was so terribly hard! I really hope that Creamsicle gets reunited with her friends, if indeed they are friends.

    You're an angel.

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for them but my heart goes out to you. I can imagine how hard it was to say goodbye. Thank you for rescuing them, you have made the world a better place. I hope so much they find good loving homes and that Creamsicle too can be rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a happy affair, but sad, too, I'm sure. I know it is for me; I've so enjoyed seeing these beauties, but when went to bed each night I worried that they were out in the cold. Wild cats and strays can make good pets when the right kind of person finds them. I know this is what will happen because they have so many people pulling for them! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I am so thankful for you, Graciel. Those kitties needed help. I'm just so thankful. They are going to have happy, happy homes, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel