Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Sheltered Life




Here are a few pictures from the wonderful Susan to let us see how the kids are doing. Coco and Gwen the Puff will meet Susan at the "apartment" door to be petted. (See picture #1). Gwen purrs. Susan says they are throw-aways, not feral at all. They are adjusting well. Creamsicle-Gabriel is the frightened one. He will not allow himself to be petted yet and gave Susan a mad-house run around when he escaped the apartment one day. As seen by the scratch on his nose, he's not taking this transition in stride. Susan is not concerned, however. She is fully confident he will calm down and be adoption material. Thank goodness. No doubt the forthcoming trip and snip at the vets will help in that matter.

After further adjustment time, a little surgery and a clean bill of health, the kids will join the general population of 200 cats at Niagara Feline Friends. Yes, you read that right. 200 cats. Each one cared for and fawned over by the small staff of cat crazy volunteers. There will be no cages after the initial adjustment period. Large, comfortable, well-equipped rooms of roughly 50 cats each will be home to the trio until they are adopted. And notice I am not saying "if" they get adopted. There is no if in my mind, only when. Please hold that thought with me. Eventually, the trio will make the rounds of monthly adoption fairs at a local pet store, or they may even find a home through the NFF website information or newspaper ads. Maybe, just maybe, someone who has followed this story is only waiting for the adoption green light to be given. Fingers crossed.

So, I wait patiently for Sebastian Blue to join them. The trap is still empty and darnit, there is a winter storm warning here in Mayberry starting at 10pm tonight. I'm nervous. It's going to be 6 degrees by Friday. Could you please whisper in his ear to get on with it and agree to be warm and well fed? The shelter serves Science Diet and wet food, for Pete's sake!

There you have it. The update, the sheltered life, and the drama of Little Boy Blue.


p.s. 7pm, this just in~ Susan told me the girls went yesterday to be spayed and are doing great. Neither one tested positive for feline leukemia! They have all their shots and both are quite young, at 6 to 7 months. Their molars are just coming in. One step closer to being long-time pets.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/27/2010

    Thank you for the update. I worry for them and I worry for the new fellows showing up in my own back yard. (Yes, believe me, they are fellows with a purpose!) They are very infrequent, so I will keep tab. One has been fixed for sure, the others, not so. I will see what I can do. Love to little Blue and, you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing the pictures, Graciel. Purring--YES! That's what I want to hear! I hope Gabriel will come around soon too. And yes, still keeping my fingers crossed that Sebastian Blue will decide to be rescued as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the cold weather is the answer. Maybe it's what will drive Sebastian Blue into the sheltered life. I'm sure praying for it.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel