Thursday, January 07, 2010

Winter Strays~ Day 4



I have gone back to check on the strays twice a day since finding them. Creamsicle has replaced the cross-eyed blue of day 1 as the 3rd member of the trio. Based on the advice of my animal-wise and dear friend, Lisa, I have checked the local vet's office for word of lost cats. I have stopped by known places in Mayberry where public notices are taped to walls and bulletin boards. No one seems to be missing cats.

Tonight, however, more information was gleaned. As I was cooing to the cats through the garage window, a woman stopped by. She knew of the cats. She told me they have been around since the summer when the garage was "cleared of cats" and this group "must have been the last litter". I questioned how they could be from the same litter, being so different, but she said it's possible if a cat mates with multiple males. I question the Himalayan in that theory, but what do I know? In any case, this very nice woman said she and her husband come by to talk to the cats regularly and a store owner, whose business backs up to the alley, leaves food and water for them by her store's rear entrance. This explains why the cats look so good and respond so well to people. But apparently no one has thought to go beyond the talking and feeding scenario.

I'm not exactly sure what to do next. There are a couple predicted 5 degree nights coming soon. I' m worried, even though I know they have each other for warmth. Still. 5 degrees. Then there's the concept of live-trapping (after getting permission from the garage owner to gain entrance) and bringing them to no a kill shelter for hopeful adoption. To me, they seem adoptable due to their friendly manners and over-the-top cuteness. It's overwhelming, though, the idea of trying to accomplish this on my own. Research and advice is needed. The local feral cat association is first on my list.

My fingers are crossed for benevolence, assistance and the most loving outcome for this gang of 3. And the cross-eyed blue, if indeed, he too needs help.

8 comments:

  1. I think you are wonderful, caring about these cats. I hope it all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five degrees? UGH! They're so beautiful and they don't seem to be wild. Hopefully someone can guide you through this. It makes me sad to think about all the animals out in the cold this winter. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your animal-loving heart. and I agree, that is one diverse litter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/08/2010

    SO wish I could be there in person to help you!

    Some thoughts that come to mind...
    ~throw some old pillows in there for them to sit on
    ~get those flat hand/foot warmers (the ones that you 'break' to activate the heat) and put those inside the pillows (I think they stay warm for several hours)
    ~is there a source of electricity in the vicinity? Bird bath warmers are available, so they would have heated water.
    ~perhaps contact a local news sources/TV station to do a story on them? Your photos are certainly compelling!

    Sending benevolent energies your way, dear Kindred.

    May you be re-paid a thousand fold for your kindness.

    "Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me..."
    ~Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are such gorgeous creatures. I wish you well with this, Graciel. I don't know what to suggest to you to do or how to help, but I am grateful that you care about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SugarFreeSeer1/08/2010

    Ok,if you can't get someone to come rescue these poor souls I'm coming out there with my cat carriers and crawling thru that window and getting them myself! These little furry faces are breaking my heart! Who owns this garage, apparently it's just a dumping ground for stuff they don't want. I like Lisa's idea about the local news, if the feral folks don't come thru for you. If you need help, let me know,Ten Lives Club is only a car ride away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my God. This post brought tears to my eyes. I can bear the idea of animals being abandoned or in the cold... May they find good homes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart is thumping when I hear about these kitties. I would be right alongside you, Graciel. Honestly, I am just as worried over little kitties...it is harder on them then it is on dogs to be strays (though my heart goes out to stray dogs just as much). Poor kitties love warmth and quiet and stability...Once you've found homes for these kitties (one of my favorite kitties was a cross-eyed beauty, so take heart...some people prefer kitties with something funny about them like that)you should read "The Cat Who Came For Christmas" about just this kind of scenario...poor kitties. Blessings on you to find the perfect homes for them.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel