Friday, October 23, 2009

The Gypsy King Of Babylon




This is how it began.

In January of 2006, I read a book~ The World Is Flat by, Thomas Friedman. I loved the book so much, I was inspired to join the global village. I joined by starting this blog in March 2006. My goal was to create a small pocket of positive vibration in a seemingly negative world. I researched how to drive more traffic to blogs. The number one recommendation at the time was to join Stumbleupon. com. I did. It worked. I successfully drove more traffic to my blog through interaction with other "Stumblers" and met a few outstanding people along the way.

In January of 2007, I clicked on the icon of someone who had visited my Stumbleupon pages. That person turned out to be from Iraq. Being me, the innocent who wants to befriend the world, I sent a short note through Stumbleupon thanking the person for visiting my pages and offering blessings to "you in a most difficult part of the world". I received an email in return. I sent another. He sent another. And the volley began.

In time, he revealed himself to be an officer in the Iraqi military. He is 3 years older than me and the single father of one. No religious affiliation (just like me), intelligent, and highly interesting. Eventually, the emails evolved to phone calls and Skype. ( He speaks fluent English with almost no accent, fluent Arabic, and some French.) For more than 2 and a half years we have been learning about each other, asking questions, and creating an unlooked-for bond through the power of words. It has been the most enthralling and difficult experience of my life.

This man, this Gypsy King, is annoyingly perceptive. He has forced me to grow and stretch way beyond my known limits. At times, I thought the reaching-beyond-my-fears he asked me to do was going to be the end of me. It has been. And thank God. Thank God I have followed my deepest gut instinct to stick with this man through my excruciating inner personal growth, through car bombs and bombs set in schools, through 54 days of missing in action, through poetry and decades old love songs. By allowing myself to be burned to the ground, by invoking loyalty and trust in a non-trusting world, by sheer instinctual will, I landed in Istanbul on September 30th, 2009 and met the Gypsy King of Babylon face to face.

He now owns my heart. He is a gentleman of the highest order. He is old-fashioned warrior energy. He is fond of flowers and dogs and melts in the presence of children. He is nowhere near perfect. Neither am I. But somehow we fit. Somehow we love. And together we have made the world a little more flat.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Graciel, thank you for sharing your beautiful, wonderful story of love. I ended up in a puddle of tears at the happiness of it all.

    Blessings and huge hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a tale! I had no idea! Congratulations on your love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/23/2009

    Oh, Graciel -- I am SO HAPPY for you, and I am so proud OF you, if I may be so presumptuous. :)

    You did it. You shared the story, and in doing so, you have added that much more love and honesty and integrity and beauty to this aching world.

    This gave me goosebumps ALL OVER. I can't express enough how happy I am for you. AND for that Marvelous, Mayhem-inducing Man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, goosebumps indeed, and tears from a full heart. Oh my. "He is old fashioned warrior energy. he is fond of flowers & dogs . . ." Oh my my. What a story - I cannot begin to imagine the mia days, the days of not knowing. I am so glad you know now.

    Tell him hello for me. And welcome!

    :) Debi

    ReplyDelete
  5. God has profound ways of putting things/people on ones path. But this was a perfect creation for you and the Gipsy King. From my place here I'm sending out loving thoughts to Him for making our paths cross. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Graciel, I've loved every one of the posts about your adventures in Turkey but none more than this one! It's made my heart swell and overflow... vindicating every belief I have in the power of love and a flat world. I'm so, so happy for you. Brava!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you and the Gypsy King many blessings, Graciel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10/25/2009

    This post has my heart swelling and my eyes brim with tears of happiness for you! I am so happy that you have found such a powerful and REAL force of true love. And bravo for not letting any of the negativity pull you down and away from what you always knew in your heart!!

    XOXO
    ~SP~

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE rules, doesn't it?
    And there is none more deserving than you, after the heartache and uncertainties that you faced during the time he was *missing*...I still recall our conversation that day over tea, and wishing and hoping like mad that you would hear something, anything...
    and now lookie here. Look now, Istanbul! Things happen magically behind the scenes when our intentions are pure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again, I am shedding tears of joy and happiness on your behalf!

    Words cannot describe the welling up of emotion in my heart when I consider the wonders of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely beautiful. a fairy tale.
    i am so happy for you and ache for you at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel