Saturday, August 08, 2009

Funeral For A Friend





Silly me. I thought all I would find upon my return to the scene of the crime was a stump I could stand on and look at the stars. Instead, a ginormous mess of limbs and leaves litter the yard. Apparently, it will remain like this until Monday. How considerate.

I did not cry when I first saw this mess. The sentient self of my friend the walnut was gone. No angst, no lingering. A clean relocation to better digs. A neighbor came by to stare at the mess with me. Looking at the tall trunk still standing he said, "Well now, isn't that worth a pretty penny".

And there you have it.

1 comment:

  1. How tragic! That was such a BEAUTIFUL tree. I am so glad you said goodbye in a meaningful and personal way. I know what you mean, certain trees are like old friends. Standing, watching over, ever present. Quiet and unassuming.
    Oh dear, I feel sad about it too.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel