Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Double 4



There was a time I detested my birthday. There was a time, on the cusp of 35, I was deeply depressed. I used to hold my birthday as a barometer of where I had not gone, what I had not achieved, and how off base my life was from that of societal norms. It was all I could do to hold my head above water while waiting for November 5th to pass. It's November 5th, 2008. I detest my birthday no longer.
Like my reblooming orchid, which once had 2 spectacular stems of flowers, and neat, compact roots, I find myself leaning off to the side. I have less blooms than I once did. I have wayward roots bent on seeing how far I can stretch beyond my formerly compact world. I have more leaves to take in more light. I am growing in a less structured way. I am doing my own thing. I am more interesting than I was.
So today, on my 44th birthday, a big rat's ass to societal norms. I am not irrelevant. I am not past my prime. I have work to do in this world: service to others, healing, creating beauty, offering compassion. I have finally learned to appreciate the beat of that different drummer I have heard my whole life. I choose to torment myself no longer.
Instead, I will eat cake. I will embrace the audacity of hope. I will ask God for the grace to do and say and not say what is in Its highest plan for me and those I cherish. I will express gratitude for the amazing people who bless my life. I will keep it simple. I will choose love.
p.s. And how's this for an lovely Universal gift? ~as I turned 44, I watched the gracious and dignified 44th President-Elect bring me to tears with his acceptance speech.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/05/2008

    Oh, Graciel, will I never learn? Will I never remember? You always remember mine and are so generous to boot---my orchid still has original blooms on it (since July!). I wish you every good thing in the year ahead, you beautiful young thing, you. :)
    Lovingly,
    Susan xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/05/2008

    Happy Birthday! Thanks for the double post. Your as wonderful and beautiful as your orchid. The acceptance speech was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday to you, Graciel! Yesterday was also my mother's birthday. She turned 78!

    Those flowers are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/06/2008

    Bon Anniversaire!! 44 is the rule! 4 plus 4 equals 8. 8 is the Ruling number in feng shui right now till 2024, and it is 2008!!! You are blessed! Oh, Lady, 35 is a good year, too. I have never been so full of hope and understanding. Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday! I celebrate birthdays now with a nod to the Universe thanking it for another year! I try not to think of time passing but am grateful for the time I have been given. In the last few years I have lost some loved ones and often reflect that I have been given a gift of time that they were not granted. Embrace every day! Life is unpredictable. 44 is a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11/17/2008

    Happy Belated birthday dear...sorry i didn't get here sooner to wish you a happy birthday, but what a gift to share your special day with the promise of a new future for SO many!
    I just read about your loved one missing in action, how unsettling and sad, your heart must feel so vulnerable, i am sorry. i will keep you in my thoughts and hope you hear from him soon. please take care. xoox
    with love,
    misty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful Scorpio. Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel