Monday, March 04, 2013

50 Books (well, almost)


Back in January, Kelly and Debi gave their lists of the 50 most beloved books they have read thus far. I knew I wanted to create a list, as well. I've spent the better part of the winter reading, books having always been my drug of choice. But it's taken me some time to put my list together. And in the end, I can only come up with 45 that hold a place of reverence. With my current appetite for literary brilliance, I have little doubt the next 5 slots will be filled by years' end.

Some titles are fiction, some are not. Some are meant for adults, some for children. The top 10 are the top 10 as of this moment. The rest could not be put in any specific order, all holding a unique reigning place. I finished State Of Wonder just yesterday and cannot rave about it enough. The descriptive language is stunning. I plan on putting the book under my pillow in hopes of becoming a better writer.

If you have a list of your own, I'd love to see it. If you don't have a blog, why not share it on Facebook? We could all use the inspiration and I'm always looking for my next fix.


1.      A Return To Love~ Marianne Williamson
2.      Olive Kitteridge~ Elizabeth Strout
3.      The Celestine Prophecy~ James Redfield
4.      State of Wonder~ Ann Patchett
5.      The Hobbit~ JRR Tolkien
6.      Charlotte’s Web~ EB White
7.      What Dreams May Come~ Richard Matheson
8.      The Secret Life Of Bees~ Sue Monk Kidd
9.      The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle~ David Wroblewski
10.  Watership Down~ Richard Adams
11.  Jane Eyre~ Charlotte Bronte
12.  The Postmistress~ Sarah Blake
13.  The Kite Runner~ Khaled Hosseini
14.  A Thousand Splendid Suns~ Khaled Hosseini
15.  Water For Elephants~ Sara Gruen
16.  Snowflower and the Secret Fan~ Lisa See
17.  Life Of Pi~ Yann Martel
18.  Nine Faces of Christ~ Eugene Whitworth
19.  The Joy Luck Club~ Amy Tan
20.  Love In the Time Of Cholera~ Gabriel Garcia Marquez
21.  The Book Thief~ Markus Zusak
22.  On The Banks Of Plum Creek~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
23.  Elegance Of The Hedgehog~ Muriel Barberry
24.  Like Water For Chocolate~ Laura Esquivel
25.  Gift From The Sea~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh
26.  Stones From The River~ Ursla Hegi
27.  The Tomten and the Fox~ Astrid Lindgren
28.  The Four Agreements~ Don Miguel Ruiz
29.  A Tree Grows In Brooklyn~ Betty Smith
30.  Mists of Avalon~ Marion Zimmer Bradley
31.  The World Is Flat~ Thomas Friedman
32.  Alice In Wonderland~ Lewis Carroll
33.  Thirteen Original Clan Mothers~ Jamie Sams
34.  The Giving Tree~ Shel Silverstein
35.  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society~ M. Schaffer and A. Barrows
36.  The Bastard Of Istanbul~ Elif Shafak
37.  Outlander (Series)~ Diana Gabaldon
38.  East Of The Sun~ Julia Gregson
39.  The Art of Racing In The Rain~ Garth Stein
40.  Sarah’s Key~ Tatiana de Rosnay
41.  Harry Potter(series)~ JK Rowling
42.  Brida~ Paulo Coelho
43.  Our Lady of the Forest~ David Guterson
44.  The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox~ Maggie O’Farrell
45.  As A Man Thinketh~ James Allen

5 comments:

  1. you have so many i've not read! adding to my list right now! and you had the courage to add the outlander series - lol! i love those books and felt a bit embarrassed about adding them. you are a better, braver woman than i!

    love, love, love this! (movies are next, you know!)

    big monday morning smooches!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As per the Outlander admission~ I almost put the disclaimer "guilty pleasure" next it. But decided, what the heck, that series saw me through the worst of my Mother's decline. It deserves a space of honor in my list. And I"m desperately waiting for book #8 to be written! Ha!!

      Sadly, I am not a movie goer/watcher. I could muster up maybe 20. Tops.

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. lol! it is a guilty pleasure, but man. what fabulous guilt. :) and i feel the same way about anne mccaffrey's science fiction series about pern and all its dragons - those books have pulled me through many a hard time, including my dad's sickness and death. i shoulda listed them.

      Delete
  2. Oh, so many of these are old friends, and so many new ones to check out, yay!

    I had forgotten about Our Lady of the Forest, loved that book!


    p.s. I started State of Wonder Saturday night, and you are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am addicted to reading. I can't go to sleep without reading a little while at night. Sometimes I go to bed quite early just so I can cuddle in with a good book. I have a short list on my side bar of recently read books. A hand full of books on your list would also be on my list. Now I will be adding a few new ones to my Wish List.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel