Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Book Obsession



I am madly in love with books. I have spent most of my adult life, however, reading non-fiction. If I was going to spend time reading, I wanted to learn something. An occasional work of fiction would cross my path, but I always returned in the very next selection to non-fiction. Until this year.
This has been my year of falling madly in love with fiction. It began with the loan from a friend of The Expected One, by Kathleen McGowan, back in the spring. By the time I read the 7th Harry Potter in August, the madness had overtaken me. Since Harry, I am simply unable to be without a good work of fiction. Along with meditation, my book obsession is keeping my sanity intact and relieving the stress of 21st century life. I still sneak in some gems of non-fiction, though. Recently, I have been re-reading 2 brilliant, spiritually-based books, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and The Four Agreements, by Don Miguel Ruiz. But the best seller list for fiction has my full-bodied attention.
Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen, was simply fabulous. Every adult should read it. Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert, (non-fiction) has more folded page corners to mark poignant passages than any other book I've read this year. I found it sacred and sassy and written just for me. But the book that infested my soul and caused me to shirk all responsibility one recent Sunday was The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. It blew me away. Simply blew me away. It made me see how little I know and how blessed my life is and how deeply my soul wants to make a difference in the world.
I took a break after the intensity of The Kite Runner and read The Memory Keepers Daughter, by Kim Edwards. It was my least favorite read so far, but it evened my emotions out in preparation for the newest book I've been coveting, the one I bought today in hard cover because who can wait for the paperback with a book this dynamic and timely? Khaled Hosseini's next little masterpiece, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Do not call me tomorrow. I will not answer. Me and my full box of Kleenex will be otherwise engaged.
After the heat of A Thousand Splendid Suns, these are the tales recommended by my book-loving friends:
Beachcombing at Miramar, by Richard Bode
The Bone Garden, by Tess Gerritson
Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Fallet
Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson
A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah
What books would you recommend?

2 comments:

  1. Great post.
    I had the same reactions to many of those books! I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns, too!

    I'll add "The Expected One" to my list and the others at the end of your post (except Three Cups of Tea which is already on my bookshelf and next in line).

    Have you read "Bel Canto" or "Crossing to Safety"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear BMG~

    Thank you for the recommendations! After 3 Cups fo Tea, I'll be Crossing to Safety.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel